Monday, July 18, 2016

Pot-Kettle Ignorance

I had an acquaintance ask me on Facebook questions regarding my Atheism and my knowledge of the Bible, religion and Christianity.  It was a public post and another individual was involved on an OP of mine.  The conclusion he came up for me was that my decision was based on ignorance.  Now sometimes I feel like it could be an equal foundation.  Atheists point fingers at theists and say they are ignorant, why can't they do that to us?  Those instances are happening less and less.  Most of us don't just read the Bible and conclude there is no God, even though that is pretty close to a valid conclusion in and of itself.  Most atheists use a complex set of inputs to come to that conclusion.

Atheists, first of all, conclude there is no God, while gladly suspending that belief based on any forthcoming evidence.  I learned this later, after deciding I liked the idea of the softer version, Agnosticism.  Realizing a rational Atheist would gladly reconsider based on new findings, I changed my mind.  But claiming ignorance was the basis of my decision is hard to wrap my head around.  Most theists conclude personal experience as the bottom line in the differences between us.  If personal experience is the difference between our spiritual experiences, then how could a theist claim my decision is based on ignorance? 

Also, even if one side of the argument thinks the other side IS basing their decisions on ignorance, why would a person use that in an argument rather than keep it to themselves? That is the quickest way to shut down any dialogue.  If that is what he wanted to do, it worked, but he has always claimed to foster and encourage discussion between parties who hold differing opinions and worldviews.  I have noticed it to be a pattern with him, though.  He seems to enjoy thinking he has the higher intellectual ground, especially if a discussion or relationship goes south.  The other person will cut it short, so he concludes that he had the upper hand because THEY couldn't come up with good rebuttals or counter-arguments.  This shows a massive lack of introspection and a stunting of personal growth.  I am very aware of my weaknesses and I try to learn from every experience and I know I am not perfect, but honestly I still have no idea how he came up with ignorance as my defining baseline.

No comments:

Post a Comment