Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Overposting

I don't know why I've been posting so much lately.  My baseline is to think about something awhile, mulling it over in my brain, trying to iron it all out so I can articulate it as best I can.  My recently attitude has been to just unload my current thoughts.  Maybe I don't want to mull it over? Regardless, here is my brain-dump for the day.

A popular meme/thought has been going around and evolving for some time now.  I remember seeing a quote similar to this pinned up in church hallways.  Here is the current iteration:


If this didn't frame a false narrative there would be no problem.  It starts with the qualifier "If," which keeps it accurate, but then frames the rest of it like it is the only option for leaving the church.  99.9% of people absolutely do not leave the church over imperfect people around them.  Furthermore, no one "denies" the concept of a church being a hospital where everyone goes to (try) to heal.  Along with that, the idea of a church being a hospital also frames it as though that is the only place for individuals to receive 'treatment,' or care.  Humanists believe that can be done when you truly empathize with others.  Spending time to reach out and care for others can heal. 

If you want to claim the Gospel as the only thing that truly heals, then you have to account for the billions of people living or who have lived that lived perfectly happy lives without it, finding healing powers in their family and friends.  Change the narrative. Change how you see people who leave.  Change can come from within. I'm just a dissenting voice. Don't accept damaging ideas that are fostering and bred to alienate and damage relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment