Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Interfaith parenting

Interfaith parenting is complex and not an ideal situation.  One parent almost always has the advantage and  teaching children can be hard as many religions teach they have a monopoly on truth.  If a child learns the cultural rhetoric of a specific belief system, how does it look if one parent doesn't belong to it? It's always a balancing act of the 'outsider' parent, and that is often taken for granted.  While being respectful of the belief system, the outsider parent has to be allowed to give their perspective and opinion on things, encourage critical thinking, and articulate the differences between the parents' beliefs.  This is also hard, in light of the rhetoric, when the believing spouse thinks the outsider parent is morally deficient.  One of the primary responses is to protect the children from their damaging and dangerous ideas, as it will lead to 'sin,' and even possibly lose the child's relationship, not to mention losing their soul.

Directly because of that cultural rhetoric that many belief systems foster, families are torn apart.  Let me reiterate: loving relationship are torn apart by belief systems that foster the idea that they have a monopoly on morality and truth.  Let me be clear: I love my children just as much as my wife.  I worry about them day and night.  I want them to be happy.  I have learned a thing or two in my 36 years regarding where real happiness comes from.  I know they have the potential to be happy by choosing to be a part of a belief system, but I also know they have better odds choosing to leave.  I have never been happier personally after choosing to leave.  Many people suffer significantly less guilt, shame and depression being free from a control mechanism over their lives.

This letter will be my template for my own children that choose to go on a religious mission:
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/4thajp/before_you_go_follow_up_to_my_son_planning_on/



No comments:

Post a Comment