Saturday, March 29, 2014

Hashtag Noah Hashtag Personal Agenda

The new Noah movie has brought some thoughts to the forefront I wanted to "write" down. Regarding hashtags: Atheism does not equal pro-evolution or pro-science; Christian does not equal creationism, anti-evolution or anti-science; Communist does not equal anti-Christian. The Bible isn't owned by the conservatives; The Bible therefore isn't married to one interpretation. I really hate how someone posts something showing their stance on an issue and puts associates incorrect hashtags. I suppose I should be used to the uneducated media world I live in. Regarding the movie "Noah": My first thought about how so many are so offended: "Oh no! A motion picture artist interpreted a story in the Bible that was made up by a bunch of Jewish religious authors hundreds of years after the fact using mostly oral history to base it on if anything!" Then I think, "Wait, why are we so worried? Will Darren Aronofsky's version become the replacement? Will a new generation know nothing else, and believing the story as literal take our great Christian heritage to the grave?" Then I think, "Was there anything like this when Broadway reinterpreted Victor Hugo's entire book? Because arguably, Hugo's entire book has influenced the world comparative to the couple chapters involving Noah from the Bible." Just so we are clear (because clearly the world revolves around me and I know so many people lose sleep at night not knowing exactly what ideas I enjoy being associated with): Putting #atheism on any pro-science or pro-evolution post that I enjoy reading is offensive to me. Putting #Christian on any ultra-conservative post that pushes an agenda that isn't even remotely associated to the Bible or Jesus is very offensive. Your ignorance is offensive to me as a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment